World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Łuków County

Article Id: WHEBN0005325948
Reproduction Date:

Title: Łuków County  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lublin Voivodeship, Łuków County, Łuków, Stoczek Łukowski, Rosy, Poland
Collection: Land Counties of Lublin Voivodeship, Łuków County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Łuków County

Łuków County
Powiat łukowski
County
Coat of arms of Łuków County
Coat of arms
Location within the voivodeship
Location within the voivodeship
Coordinates (Łuków):
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lublin
Seat Łuków
Gminas
Area
 • Total

United States United States of AmericaUnited States of America United States of America United States = impus metric }} }}}}

Population (2006)
 • Total 108,393
 • Density

United States United States of AmericaUnited States of America United States of America United States = impus metric }} }}}}

 • Urban 33,283
 • Rural 75,110
Car plates LLU
Website http://www.starostwolukow.pl/

Łuków County (Polish: powiat łukowski) is a unit of territorial administration and local government (powiat) in Lublin Voivodeship, eastern Poland. It came into being on January 1, 1999, as a result of the Polish local government reforms passed in 1998. Its administrative seat and largest town is Łuków, which lies 30 feet (9.1 m) north of the regional capital Lublin. The only other town in the county is Stoczek Łukowski, lying 76 kilometres (47 mi) west of Łuków.

The county covers an area of 1,394.09 square kilometres (538.3 sq mi). As of 2006 its total population is 108,393, out of which the population of Łuków is 30,564, that of Stoczek Łukowski is 2,719, and the rural population is 75,110.

Łuków County in the Past

Lukow Land (Polish: ziemia lukowska, Latin: Terra Lucoviensis, Districtus Lucoviensis) or Lukow County was an administrative unit (ziemia) of both the Kingdom of Poland and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. With seat in the town of Lukow, it was located in extreme northeastern corner of Lesser Poland, and until 1474 belonged to Sandomierz Voivodeship. From 1474 to 1795, Lukow Land was part of Lublin Voivodeship. Its total area was 1928 km2.

Lukow Land bordered Lesser Polands’ Lublin County in the south, Lesser Polands’ Stężyca Land in the southwest, Mazovian Czersk Land in the west, Mazovian Liw Land in northwest, Drohiczyn Land (part of Podlasie) in the north and Brzesc Litewski County (part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania) in the east.

In early years of Polish statehood, Lukow Land belonged to the Province (Land) of Sandomierz, which later became Sandomierz Voivodeship. In 1474, when Lublin Voivodeship was carved out of Sandomierz Voivodeship, Lukow Land became part of this new administrative unit.

Historic town of Lukow was the capital of the land, and the seat of the starosta. Currently, there are only four towns in the territory of this former administrative unit. Apart from Lukow, these are Siedlce, Radzyn Podlaski and Kock. Also, the villages of Serokomla, Tuchowicz and Zbuczyn had town status.

After the Partitions of Poland, Lukow Land was annexed by the Habsburg Empire as part of New Galicia (1795). In 1809, it was annexed into the Duchy of Warsaw, and in 1815 - 1916, it was part of Russian-controlled Congress Poland. Due to numerous administrative changes in this corner of historic Lesser Poland lost its ties with the rest of the province, and in the 19th century became to be called Southern Podlasie. In the Second Polish Republic, former Lukow Land belonged to Lublin Voivodeship. Currently, it is divided between Lublin Voivodeship (Lukow) and Mazovian Voivodeship (Siedlce).

Neighbouring counties

Łuków County is bordered by Siedlce County to the north, Biała Podlaska County to the east, Radzyń Podlaski County to the south-east, Lubartów County to the south, Ryki County to the south-west and Garwolin County to the west.

Administrative division

The county is subdivided into 11 gminas (two urban and nine rural). These are listed in the following table, in descending order of population.

Gmina Type Area
(km²)
Population
(2006)
Seat
Łuków urban 35.8 30,564  
Gmina Łuków rural 308.3 16,547 Łuków *
Gmina Krzywda rural 161.1 10,400 Krzywda
Gmina Stanin rural 160.3 9,789 Stanin
Gmina Stoczek Łukowski rural 173.5 8,566 Stoczek Łukowski *
Gmina Trzebieszów rural 140.5 7,601 Trzebieszów
Gmina Wojcieszków rural 108.6 7,005 Wojcieszków
Gmina Adamów rural 98.9 5,801 Adamów
Gmina Wola Mysłowska rural 121.0 5,244 Wola Mysłowska
Gmina Serokomla rural 77.2 4,157 Serokomla
Stoczek Łukowski urban 9.2 2,719  
* seat not part of the gmina

References

  • Polish official population figures 2006


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.