World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Banco di Napoli

Article Id: WHEBN0042149495
Reproduction Date:

Title: Banco di Napoli  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Banking in Eritrea, Index of Ethiopia-related articles, Banca delle Marche, Sanpaolo IMI, Intesa Sanpaolo
Collection: Banks of Italy, Companies Established in 1861, Intesa Sanpaolo Group
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Banco di Napoli

Banco di Napoli S.p.A., sometimes called in English Bank of Naples, is a brand and division of the Italian banking group Intesa Sanpaolo. It was established in 1861 and operated as an independent bank under name Banco di Napoli until 2003.

Following the acquisition of the bank at the end of 2002 by the Sanpaolo IMI group, in 2003 the bank changed its name to "Sanpaolo Banco di Napoli". The operation was carried out in two distinct phases:

  • At the end of 2002 there was the merger by incorporation of Banco di Napoli SpA, Sanpaolo IMI SpA ', resulting in the termination of the first.
  • It was later incorporated as "Sanpaolo Banco di Napoli SpA", which with effect from 1 July 2003 took over the whole business of the old Banco di Napoli.

With the merger in December 2006 of Banca Intesa and Sanpaolo IMI, the bank has now become part of the group Intesa Sanpaolo and has resumed its former name of Banco di Napoli SpA

Contents

  • History 1
  • The present structure 2
  • Presidents of the bank 3
  • See also 4
  • Notes 5

History

The Banco of Naples is one of the most important and oldest historic Italian banks, as its origins date back to the so-called public benches of charitable institutions, which arose in Naples between the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, especially at a pawnshop "Tour of Mercy "founded in 1539 on a pledge to lend without interest, which in 1584 opened a case of deposits, recognized by a proclamation of the viceroy of Naples in the same year.

Seven other similar institutions were later founded in Naples between 1587 and 1640:

  • "Bank of the Poor" (1563)
  • "Bank of the Annunciation" (1587)
  • "Bank of the People" (1589)
  • "Bank of the Holy Spirit" (1590)
  • "Bank of Sant'Eligio" (1592)
  • "Bank of St. James and Victoria" (1597)
  • "Bank of the Savior" (1640).

After nearly two centuries of activities independently of each other, a decree of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon, in 1794, leading to the unification of the eight existing institutes into a single structure that is called Banco National of Naples.

Following the political changes that took place in the nineteenth century in Naples and Southern Italy, also the Banco of Naples changes name and structure. Passing from the realm of the Bourbons to the matrix Napoleon, the king of Naples, Joachim Murat attempts to transform the Bank into a limited company similar to the Bank of France and create the Bank of the Two Sicilies, bound to have the same functions through the Bank Court and the Case of Private. With the revolutionary upheavals of 1849 loses agencies Sicilian who founded the Banco of Sicily. New changes take place in 1861 with the unification of Italy, the changes that mark the birth of the name Banco of Naples, the bank will be responsible for the issuance of the currency of the Kingdom of Italy for 65 years.

The present structure

The integration of Banco di Napoli into the group Sanpaolo IMI led to its geographical operating area being reduced: all branches in northern and central Europe, which would have overlapped with the existing structure of the parent company, were closed or moved. However, at the same time the southern branches of Sanpaolo IMI were transferred into the newly-renamed Sanpaolo Banco di Napoli.

In the Italian regions of Abruzzo, Molise, and Lazio, which were areas where the Banco di Napoli was historically less strong because before the Italian unification they had not been part of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, here at first after the take-over the branches of the bank were incorporated into the Sanpaolo; but later in Abruzzo and Molise it was decided to incorporate them into the Banca dell'Adriatico.

At present, therefore, the Banco di Napoli operates only in Campania, Apulia, Basilicata, and Calabria, with the exception of one branch at the Palazzo Montecitorio in Rome. The bank's network still includes some 687 branches, and it has approximately 5,750 employees.

Presidents of the bank

See also

Notes

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.