World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fazenda (Azores)

Article Id: WHEBN0028761815
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fazenda (Azores)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lajes das Flores (Azores), List of parishes of Portugal: L, Fazenda (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fazenda (Azores)

Fazenda
Civil Parish (Freguesia)
Official name: Freguesia da Fazenda das Lajes
Name origin: fazenda, Portuguese for farm, rural estate or commerce/market
Country  Portugal
Autonomous Region  Azores
Group Western
Island Flores
Municipality Lajes das Flores
Localities Calvário, Barreira Vermelha, Eiras, Feital
Center Ribeirinha
 - elevation 119 m (390 ft)
 - coordinates 23|20|N|31|9|59|W|type:city(278)_region:PT name=

}}

Highest point Picaroto
 - location Marcela, Fazenda, Lajes das Flores
 - elevation 769 m (2,523 ft)
 - coordinates 24|34|N|31|11|52|W|type:city(278)_region:PT name=

}}

Lowest point Sea level
 - location Atlantic Ocean
 - elevation 0 m (0 ft)
Length 5.48 km (3 mi), Northwest-Southeast
Width 2.14 km (1 mi), Southwest-Northeast
Area 8.69 km2 (3 sq mi)
 - land 8.5 km2 (3 sq mi)
 - urban .19 km2 (0 sq mi)
Population 278 (2001)
Density 31.99 / km2 (83 / sq mi)
LAU Freguesia/Junta Freguesia
 - location Estrada da Caldeira, Fazenda, Lajes das Flores
President Junta Victor José Santos da Rosa (PS)
President Assembleia Valter Duarte Pimentel Câmara (PS)
Timezone Azores (UTC-1)
 - summer (DST) Azores (UTC0)
ISO 3166-2 code PT-
Postal Zone 9960-220 Fazenda
Area Code & Prefix (+351) 292 XXX-XXXX
Demonym Florense; Fazendense
Patron Saint Senhor Santo Cristo
Parish Address Estrada da Caldeira
9960-220 Fazenda
http://www.cmlajesflores.com/fazenda/fazenda.htm

Fazenda is a civil parish in the municipality of Lajes das Flores, on the island of Flores, in the Azores. With a population of less than 300 people occupying an area of 9.43 km², this parish is the youngest in the municipality, having been de-annexed from the Villa of Lajes das Flores in 1919.

History

The first settlements In this region occurred In the zone called Eirinha Velha during the 16th Century. Few historians would refer to the area of Fazenda, until Father José António Camões elaborated on the history of the island; from the Ribeira Funda, He would recount,

"In about 55 arms-lengths, the river runs to the sea along a cliff called Fazenda...continuing to the south-southeast, In the same bay, is a lowland called Cherne. A short distance from this lowland is a small point called Ponta da Fazenda".

Later, Father Camões would note that the zone was occupied by 72 homes, 395 inhabitants In total (198 men, 197 women). He would go on to elaborate about the local industry, describing how the men were "hearty, robust and jovial", and responsible for the production of best roof-tiles on the island.

Albeit only administratively autonomous in 1919, it was religiously independent of Lajes das Flores in 1904. At that time, Senator André de Freitas had unsuccessfully attempted to promote the village to civil parish status. Similarly, and much later, Senator Machado Serpa had a similar idea; on December 9, 1919, organic law no.915 was promulgated creating the civil parish of Fazenda. On November 10, 1959, Bishop D. Manuel Afonso de Carvalho establishes Fazenda As a parochial church congregation with all the rights under Canonical Law.

Geography

Fazenda is administrative division of Lajes das Flores, and located to the north and northeast of the municipal seat. It extends from the eastern coast where it slopes along a north-northwest to south-southeast orientation to the center of the island. The settlements in this parish area oriented along the Regional Road connecting them to the parishes of Lomba (to the north) and Lajes das Flores (to the south).

Economy

Fazenda has been characterized for its fertile soils, and the local population is primarily involved In agriculture and animal husbandry associated with the dairy industry. The parish's experience with cooperativism started on April 4, 1919, with the establishment of the Fructuária de Produção de Lacticínios da Freguesia do Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres da Fazenda, later renamed the Cooperativa Agrícola Fructuária de ProduçãO de Lacticínios Senhor Santo Cristo by its founder, Father José Furtado Mota. In 1950, the co-operative's constitution was amended (November 29) and elaborated, becoming known As the Cooperativa Agrícola de Lacticínios do Senhor Santo Cristo, SCARL, under new directors Fernando Pereira Gomes, Francisco de Freitas Silva and Fernando Gomes Trigueiro. In 1968, the cooperative adapted new technologies and processes to produce a variant on the "São Jorge" cheese, while reducing the production of its local butter (At its only factory In Ribeirinha). At the time it was considered pioneering, and later duplicated by other dairy producers on the island. Later, In order to secure a greater portion of the export market, along with other branches on the island, the cooperative formed the União de Cooperativas da Ilha das Flores.

During the 1940s, a small whalehunting business was operated by Fazendense Francisco Nunes Azevedo.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.