World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0004126446
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kock  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lubartów County, List of shtetls, List of villages and towns depopulated of Jews during the Holocaust, 1939, Jewish ghettos in German-occupied Poland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Town center
Town center
Coat of arms of Kock
Coat of arms
Kock is located in Poland
Country  Poland
Voivodeship Lublin
County Lubartów
Gmina Kock
Established 10th century
Town rights 1417
 • Mayor Tomasz Futera
 • Total 16.78 km2 (6.48 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Total 3,478
 • Density 210/km2 (540/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 21-150
Area code(s) +48 81
Car plates LLB

Kock () is a town in eastern Poland, about 45 kilometres (28 miles) north of Lublin and 120 kilometres (75 miles) south-east of Warsaw. It lies in Lublin Voivodeship, in Lubartów County. It is the capital of the administrative district Gmina Kock. Historically Kock belongs to the Polish province of Lesser Poland and is located in its northeastern corner. As of 2004, its population numbered 3,509.

Name and location

Kock is located a few kilometers north of the Wieprz river, approximately 150 meters above sea level, near the Łuków Lowland (Równina Łukowska). In 1952–1954 it was the seat of Gmina Białobrzegi. The town first appears in chronicles in 1258 as Cocsk. In the 15th century, it was called Kocsko or Koczsko, and in 1787, its name was spelled Kocko. Current form has been in use since the 19th century, and the word Kock either comes from the nast name or a nickname Kot (a person named so founded the town), or from a plant called kocanka (Helichrysum arenarium), which grows abundantly in the area.


Kock has been recognized as an established community since the 12th century. It received its city charter in 1417, by King Władysław II Jagiełło, who granted the charter upon request of Jakub, the Bishop of Płock. In 1518 the town belonged to Mikolaj Firlej, Crown Hetman and the Voivode of Sandomierz. The Firlej family owned Kock until the second half of the 18th century, and at that time the town became an important center of the Protestant Reformation in Lesser Poland. Around the year 1750 Kock passed into the hands of Princess Anna Jabłonowska of the Sapieha family, who invested a lot of money and energy into the town, ordering the construction of a town hall, a palace and a church. Furthermore, she established the market square (or rynek). The residents of the town participated in the January Uprising, for which the Russians deprived Kock of its town rights (1870, recovered in 1915). Several important battles took place at Kock in the 19th and early 20th centuries:

After World War I Kock belonged to Lublin Voivodeship. The town, located away from rail connections, stagnated. Furthermore, in 1927 large parts of it burned in a fire. Kock was one of centers of the Home Army, whose units (27th Volhynian Home Army Infantry Division freed the town on July 22, 1944. Afterwards, the Soviets disbanded Polish soldiers, and in the resulting civil war, Kock was captured by anti-Communist resistance (May 1, 1945).

Points of interest

  • Parish Church (1779–82),
  • The House of Jozef Morgensztern (see Menachem Mendel of Kotzk),
  • Jewish cemetery (18th century),
  • Military cemetery with the grave of General Franciszek Kleeberg,
  • Classicistic Palace of Princess Anna Jablonowska (1770).

Jews of Kock

In the 17th century, a Jewish community was established in the town. In Yiddish, the community is known as Kotzk or Kotsk. In the 19th century, it became an important centre of Hasidism as the longtime home of Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Kotzk, the Kotzker rebbe who established the Kotsk dynasty. Most of the Jews were murdered by the Nazis in the Holocaust during the occupation of Poland (1939–1945), and a Jewish community has not been reestablished since the war.

External links

  • Rootsweb: Kock Gmina Page
  • Jewish cemetery in Kock
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.