World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lwów School of Mathematics

Article Id: WHEBN0001024328
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lwów School of Mathematics  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Scottish Book, Hugo Steinhaus, Lviv, Timeline of Polish science and technology, Stefan Banach
Collection: History of Education in Poland, History of Lviv, History of Mathematics, Lviv Polytechnic, Science and Technology in Poland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lwów School of Mathematics

Lwów School of Mathematics, 1930
Part of the Scottish Book with Stefan Banach's and Stanisław Ulam's notes

The Lwów school of mathematics (Polish: lwowska szkoła matematyczna) was a group of mathematicians who worked between the two World Wars in Lwów, Poland (since 1945 Lviv, Ukraine). The mathematicians often met at the famous Scottish Café to discuss mathematical problems, and published in the journal Studia Mathematica, founded in 1929. The school was renowned for its productivity and its extensive contributions to subjects such as point-set topology, set theory and functional analysis. The biographies and contributions of these mathematicians were documented in 1980 by their contemporary Kazimierz Kuratowski in his book A Half Century of Polish Mathematics: Remembrances and Reflections.

Many of the mathematicians, especially those of Jewish background, fled this southeastern part of Poland in 1941 when it became clear that it would be invaded by Germany. Few of the mathematicians survived World War II, but after the war a group including some of the original community carried on their work in western Poland's Wrocław, the successor city to prewar Lwów; see Polish population transfers (1944–1946). A number of the prewar mathematicians, prominent among them Stanisław Ulam, became famous for work done in the West.

Notable members of the Lwów school of mathematics included:

See also

References

  • Ulam, Stanisław Marcin (1976). Adventures of a Mathematician, illustrated with photographs.  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.