World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Stewart's (department store)

Article Id: WHEBN0003998481
Reproduction Date:

Title: Stewart's (department store)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Associated Dry Goods, Retail companies established in 1901, Retail companies disestablished in 1983, Westview Mall, Defunct department stores of the United States
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Stewart's (department store)

Stewart's Department Store in Baltimore, Maryland, took its name in 1901 when Louis Stewart acquired the building of Posner's Department Store on the northeast corner of Howard and Lexington Streets. The chain was a founding member of Associated Dry Goods or ADG. It opened its first suburban store in 1953. The downtown store was closed in 1978 and suburban stores were converted to ADG's Caldor discount chain in 1983. The flagship store was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.[1]

The 110,000-square-foot (10,000 m2) store on York Road was located at the city/county line. Built on two levels and surrounded by parking, the store was designed to “blend into the suburban area around it.” The design included broad expanses of glass from floor to ceiling, “screened by Fiberglas curtains containing 600 square yards of materials.” Elaborate murals of Homewood House, the Washington Monument and the Federal Hill skyline decorated walls in the store, and a restaurant with a Chesapeake Bay theme became a destination for northern shoppers.

Four other stores followed in the 1960s and 1970s. They included Reisterstown Road Plaza in 1962, Timonium Mall in 1969, Westview Shopping Center (an addition to a 1958 Mall) in 1969, and the store's final branch at Golden Ring Mall in Rosedale, Maryland, in 1974.

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  

External links

  • "Downtown Department Stores, and other Retail Goodies" Baltimore
  • "Photo of Reisterstown Road store interior
  • Photo of Resisterstown Road store exterior
  • "Camellia Room" at Stewart & Co. Reisterstown Road
  • "Chesapeake Room" restaurant at Stewart & Co. Reisterstown Road Plaza
  • Article about department stores in Baltimore
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World eBook Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.